Sunday, October 12, 2014

A perfectly porky surprise

Bacon. One word. Yum.
Bacon. Four words. Not a diet food.
Many believe that pork products aren't healthy enough to be diet foods. Prepared to be surprised, I sure was.

Pork, is so much more than simply, bacon.

This week as a part of my College Aggies Assignment, I was tasked with promoting the pork industry through visual media as a meme on instagram.

In order to do this effectively I needed to do some research. I uses the pork check off fact sheet and within seconds learned some shocking facts about pork's relationship with the food we consume.

Pork is so much more than bacon:

Did you know that...
 Pork is the most widely eaten meat than any other meat.
A pork tenderloin is as lean as a skinless chicken breast.
One market hog produces 371 servings of pork???

All I can say is wow. Right off the bat I learned there essential things about pork that I never guessed would be true. The lean factor about pork and chicken really stuck out to me. The key take away from this is that assumptions about the foods we consume aren't always correct. Just because some pork products are greasy and full of certain fats like bacon, doesn't mean that all pork products are the same.

I also feel that it is important for everyone to realize how the pork industry is so prevalent in the international sphere. Pigs do a large part of providing the world with food. We as consumers should note this while respecting the need for ethical practices and treatment of all hogs. This further emphaiszes to me how I as a farmer and an agvocate need to keep the work up to be a representative of all the work done across all livestock industries.

Getting back to my meme, I used what I found to be a funny yet telling representation of the importance of pork in America and beyond...
Did you get the reference? I think i did a cover of that saying better than Nicki Minaj. No bias there or anything...


My caption explained how each market hog produces those 371 servings of pork. It reinforced the point that pork is a staple of the American food system and the world. I hope you like this meme like I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment